Thursday, August 2, 2012

Be Selfish - Volunteer

No.1 Article of Physical Therapy Assistant Programs

"Coach, watch me!", "Coach, Billy hit me again!", "Coach, can you help me on the balance beam?" These were the sounds I heard approximately every Friday night for the last five years. I volunteered as a coach for an adaptive gymnastics program in my community, first three years as a corporal therapy pupil and then two years as a lead instructor. The program was for any child with special needs, be it corporal or developmental. It gave them a opportunity to run around, burn energy, build relationships and corporal force while their parents could sit quietly and read a book or collate notes with other special-needs parents.

Volunteering with special needs children was also one of the most selfish things I ever did. I looked transmit to helping the kids and their families every Friday. I loved to watch the kids grow up physically and developmentally over the years. It felt fantastic when they would give all the coaches hugs at the end of the practices. I was on a high at the end of each hour, overwhelmed with the goodness of those children.

Physical Therapy Assistant Programs

When the parents thanked me for assisting in this program, I all the time said, "No, thank you". It was a constant time when I felt helpful and purposeful during a time when I was growing up and studying hard lessons. Sometimes, it was much more for me than them....that's why I say I was being selfish. I want to encourage everyone to take some time to be selfish and reap the rewards of volunteering in your community. I'm seeing for my next scheme if anything has suggestions....

Be Selfish - Volunteer

Tips for Getting Involved:

Respond to an email. We all get those emails from relatives or employers urging us to give some time to a single cause - do it!
Check out some volunteering websites http://www.volunteermatch.org/ or www.serve.gov
Find something that is meaningful for you. I gravitate towards foundations and societies like the American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Society, or special Olympics. Since these are things a lot of my patients struggle with, they are dear to my heart. If volunteering just doesn't work for you, think doing a walk or run for your adored cause.
Get complex with a friend. Volunteer on a Saturday morning before grabbing brunch to start off your weekend!
Volunteer in your local society for change you can see firsthand. Many communities have their own food banks, shelters or school programs where you can readily see the good you are doing!

my latest blog post Be Selfish - Volunteer



No comments:

Post a Comment